Wales Council of the Blind

Service type: Grants

Apply for Assistive Technology - (Guide Dogs)

Guide Dogs believes the right assistive technology – sometimes called ‘access’ or ‘adaptive’ technology – can help your child learn and play, just like everyone else. That’s why they've helped children and young people access a world of technology designed to suit their vision impairment.

CHECT Support Fund - (Childhood Eye Cancer Trust (CHECT))

The Childhood Eye Cancer Trust (CHECT) support fund provides grants to families in need of financial help as a result of their child’s diagnosis, treatment or screening for retinoblastoma. The fund is available to UK members of CHECT and/or those receiving treatment under the NHS in one of the UK retinoblastoma centres – Royal London Hospital or Birmingham Children’s Hospital. Eligible families could receive up to £200 per year.

Dr. Rhydian James Grant Fund - (North Wales Society of the Blind)

A grant to empower and enable future generations of people who are blind and partially sighted to reach their goals and fulfil their aspirations whatever they may be. Applicants in receipt of means-tested benefits will be given priority. They are happy to consider applications for specialist software, equipment and specialist training in the use of access technology.

Family Fund grants - (Family Fund)

Provide grants to the families of disabled children and young people who meet certain criteria. The grants can be used for essential items such as washing machines, fridge-freezers, family breaks, clothing and bedding as well as contributions to hospital visiting costs. They also help with tablets, laptops and sensory toys.

Financial aid - (Behcet's UK)

The Society will provide grants to help people who are in hardship because of Behçet's disease. To provide a grant, evidence of the amount needed must be provided. Examples of claims which might be funded include prepayment certificate for drugs, help with travel to hospital, household bills, help towards computer with reading aids/voice recognition if you are visually impaired, or aids/other equipment not available on the NHS to help if you are disabled.

Grants from Ceredigion Association - (Ceredigion Association for the Blind)

Ceredigion Association provide some grants to visually impaired people. To be eligible you must have serious and uncorrectable visual impairments, and have been referred to the Association by the Rehabilitation Officer in Ceredigion Social Services.

Grants from MACS - (MACS (Microphthalmia, Anophthalmia & Coloboma Support))

MACS gives grants to cover the cost of activities or equipment needed by children born without eyes, or with under-developed eyes. You must have been a member of MACS for at least 6 month to apply.

Grants from VI Breconshire - (Visual Impairment Breconshire)

Grants are offered to anyone with a permanent and uncorrectable eye condition, living in Breconshire to help pay for equipment, services, training, education and experiences (such as holidays). Applications are welcome from the visually impaired, their families and carers.

Grants from VICTA - (VICTA (Visually Impaired Children Taking Action))

VICTA provide grants for children and young people for visual aid equipment and for vacation schemes.

NWSB Children's Fund - (North Wales Society of the Blind)

The children's fund was established to help meet the needs of children who have impaired vision, by providing special needs grants and specialist equipment. Many families with young children who have vision impairments will have experienced lengthy delays and numerous application forms when applying for essential equipment like a CCTV</a> system or specialist computer software. We hope to be able to attract enough support to be able to help meet some of these needs.

NWSB General Grants - (North Wales Society of the Blind)

The general grant fund may award grants of up to £100 to individuals who are registered sight impaired or severely Sight impaired who also live in North Wales. The fund may provide grants for items which have been specifically designed for people with impaired vision. Contact Steve Thomas via the contact details below.

RAB grants - (Radnorshire Association for the Blind)

Radnorshire Association offer grants to Radnorshire residents to help towards the cost of equipment to help people with a visual impairment.

The Powell Family Foundation - Grants - (The Powell Family Foundation)

Who do we fund? Individuals: Applications may be made by, or on behalf of, vision impaired individuals who are aged 25 and under, permanently resident in the UK, and in need of financial assistance. Organisations: Applications may be made by charitable organisations registered in the UK, whose work provides direct benefit for people in the UK, and which have, as part of their aims, a focus on services (new or existing) that support vision impaired children and young people.

The Vision Fund - (Vision Foundation)

Our social impact funding supports projects that are designed to improve the experience of being blind or partially sighted, or at risk of sight loss, in the UK. We are an evidence-led funder and base our programmes on where we feel our money can have the greatest impact. The Vision Fund supports organisations who directly support blind and partially sighted people or people at risk of losing sight.