Access to Work isn't working - RNIB calls for action
RNIB is calling on the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to take urgent action to tackle delays in dealing with claims for the Access to Work (ATW) scheme, which provides financial and practical support with the extra employment costs resulting from a disability or long term health condition.
The lengthy delays are putting the jobs of disabled people at risk, and causing financial hardship. RNIB is calling on DWP to:
- Provide adequate resources to ATW so that support is put in place within four weeks of any application and claims are promptly processed.
- Remove the need for an ATW renewal process for customers when their support needs are not changing.
- Automatically extend ATW packages until renewals can be processed so individuals can retain support.
- Provide automatic software upgrades to software previously approved as part of an ATW grant.
- Provide a ‘cost of living’ update for the value of ATW grant payments.
- Fast track applicants who know what support they need.
Posted on the 30th of January 2023